Landscape Architecture LLC
Landscape Architecture LLC
Let's make it all it can be.
The Master Plan, the Design, Permitting, Construction, Full Project Management - Step by step, we make getting to a beautiful landscape easier for you with less risk, better results, and higher value.
"The best decision we made was to hire David's company."
H. Segalas - Vero Beach, FL - 1999
Custom outdoor kitchen, custom fence design, patio walls and steps down to the pool, stone paving, infrared grill, all finely integrated with the house architecture.
If you have questions, how about some answers! DBLA is celebrating twenty years.
DBLA removes the mystery and the risk to bring enhanced property value and better functionality.
Since 1999, DBLA has worked with homeowners, building-architects, engineers, legal and real estate professionals and government agencies to bring out the best that big and small properties have to offer.
DBLA renders extraordinary places from ordinary spaces.
Clients talk about David Bartsch Landscape Architecture
"Good Listener. The firm is knowledgeable and trustworthy, understood our needs."
D. Knise - McLean, VA - 2001
President and CEO of a national insurance company
"Very good design emerged... it was on schedule and within expected expenditures. To implement the aesthetic qualities of the design, it was important that the designer oversee the construction crew. Environmentally conscious and innovative."
D. Brown - Washington, DC - 2000
Senior Vice President/Public Policy and General Counsel of a national media association, retired
"Very difficult project. David was creative, reliable, and technically expert. We did not get a second quote, David was it."
S. Matarese - Franklin Lakes, NJ - 2008
Business Administrator for a private medical/surgical practice
"Exellent and timely. Works to save the client's money, and balanced the design with realistic costs. Followed up after the job was completed."
C. L. Huston III - Chester Springs, PA - 2006
Philanthropist and Community Adviser, Vice President for Community Relations, and Director of Operations for family foundation
"D. Bartsch exceeded my expectations in terms of creativity and 'ownership'. Very professional."
T. Young - Raleigh, NC - 2005
Executive with national boutique management consulting firm
"Accurate, Innovative, and Experienced. Good problem solver and he designs well to the setting."
V. Norton - Nantucket, MA - 2008
Founder of a private trust for historic preservation
Call or e-mail and let's talk about your landscape!
Portfolio of Selected Works
Vanishing edge for quiet times or your ultimate party
Hang under the pergola to grill your favorites
White noise gives a sense of peace and tranquility
Raised beds and patio among gardens give spaces their own character
Gardens bring out our best
From terrace to lawn to rough, no more than needed
Integrating the outdoors and the indoors with middle zones
Path and steps to the hot water spa give it a place of its own
A circle in a series of ovals makes this hot water spa totally custom
Outdoor dining is part of the house and part of the landscape
Easy steps down to the pool offer a series of places to enjoy
Integrating changes with the existing lay of the land for a natural setting
Plan for a fire pit and terrace for entertaining and gardens
Plan for a partial perimeter-overflow pool and integrated spa
A roundabout on the Vineyard relieves what was an awful intersection
A forty-foot drop across a city block outside Paris becomes magical
A simple public open space affords breathing room and joy to many
Corten steel signage for a modern-rustic appeal
A poorly-functioning intersection at the State House - before changes
A better-functioning intersection at the State House - after changes
A private yard once was a croquet pitch, before the Land Bank bought it
That same yard becomes a beloved public park right downtown
Maritime stone and well situated furnishings make a comfortable place to hang out
Fully accessible and engaging, this park invites relaxation
A sloped lawn from the house becomes a terrace and a play yard
Summer parties on the pool patio, fall fires by the spa, 'nuf said
Once a weed-strewn back yard, now a place to entertain, or sun with book
The spaces between places need their own character too
Gardens form spaces while maintaining transparency
A comfortable entry with a driveway that's actually easy to navigate
A private water feature for plunging or just floating among friends
Tennis carved out of the woods - but a short walk from the dining patio
A wet sun deck for cooling off in the garden
Sometimes it's better without a pool deck - for the natural look
Custom gates and pergola suggest where to go and invite exploration
Room for the chef to work wonders
Call or e-mail and let's talk about your landscape!
What do we do? Site Planning, Design, Permitting, Project Management
David Bartsch Landscape Architecture LLC is a professional site planning and design firm. We get projects started well, permitted, and built to last. Based in Cambridge and Nantucket and in business since 1999, DBLA brings customized service and exceptional, thoughtful design solutions to residential and commercial property owners, public agencies, developers, and allied design professionals.
A new downtown park - fully accessible with custom fountain, maritime granite details, unique period lighting, and lush plantings for all to enjoy.
Our focus is to help land owners and decision makers to move ahead with the best information available. We develop cost effective, functional and beautiful solutions that enhance long-term value, utility and appearance. In socially and environmentally responsible ways, we make great places.
The Big Picture
Our whole-project perspective integrates and informs the work of surveyors, engineers, and building-architects. Our collaborative process and comprehensive results add meaning, fresh originality, and a finer level of aesthetic and technical finish to every setting.
Sustainability informs each aspect of our work. It has been an integral part of landscape architects' practice since the profession's formal recognition in 1899.
Site Planning and Landscape Design
DBLA's purpose is to work with you to create a landscape the reflects your style and your needs. David brings decades of experience and broad study of world-renowned places across the globe. Ongoing research and evolving experience informs design through selective materials, their proper placement and innovative layout, great use of light, symmetry, and rhythm to result in truly engaging places.
A homeowner might seek a cutting-edge swimming pool or a fountain, a bold plane of wild grasses, lush gardens, sport courts, or private spots to cook, dine, entertain, or relax outdoors.
Commercial properties require better visibility, improved lighting, parking and driveways that actually work, with plantings and circulation that is clear and helps organize and improve a busy setting.
Our work for municipal and state agencies makes public spaces better for many people, from improved roadways and roundabouts, to public parks, to multimodal zones with overlapping purposes. We help to plan, design, permit, and oversee implementation of meaningful improvements.
A private summer home with a sunken pool area to enjoy sunbathing out of the wind.
Here for You
Whatever your needs, DBLA uses your property context and impacts from the sun, wind, slopes, and other inherent land features to improve your property and meet your budget - not just for design and construction, but for ongoing maintenance and operations.
DBLA listens. It's your property and we'll help make it all it can be.
A Quick Bio - From 1999
From 1999, David Bartsch has been principal of DBLA, working from Boston, Cambridge, and Nantucket.
For nine years before establishing DBLA, David worked with other leading firms on a variety of project types in Boston, Seattle and Paris, including public parks, regional high schools, assisted living facilities, garden-cemeteries, and custom private homes. David oversees projects from Program Development through Construction to Operations, managing effective team composition and getting the most from supportive collaboration.
David's direct involvement creates cost savings and higher quality results. Hallmarks of his professional service include sustainable design, close client support, technical expertise, new and unique interpretations of space and form, close attention to detail and materials, and achieving unsurpassed results with innovation, creativity, and all that a property has to offer.
New Tennis and Sport Court
- Harvard University, Graduate School of Design - Master of Landscape Architecture
- University of Massachusetts, Amherst - Bachelor of Science, cum laude, Environmental Design
- Ecole Municipale Superieure des Arts et Techniques, Paris - focus on Landscape Architecture; selected first in class
Licenses and Credentials (current and former):
- Massachusetts – Landscape Architect #1137
- Licensure is required to practice landscape architecture in every state, which requires a professional degree from an accredited university, a 3 year internship, and passage of a 36 hour state-sponsored exam;
- Connecticut – Landscape Architect #1289
- Massachusetts – Construction Supervisor # CS 087621;
- Essentially a General Contractor's license, requiring expertise in municipal building codes, a twelve-hour state-sponsored exam, ongoing continuing education, and re-licensing every five years;
- LEED – Green Associate
- Certification by the USGBC;
- Nantucket Conservation Commission – Certificate in Wetland Delineation
We moved the house 50' back from the bluff, and created an entirely new landscape
Professional Affiliations (current and former):
- Urban Land Institute (ULI) – Member of the Sustainability Council, the Resiliency Committee, and the Program Oversight Committee
- The Urban Land Institute provides leadership in the responsible use of land and in creating and sustaining thriving communities worldwide.
- Council of Landscape Architectural Registration Boards
- The Council of Landscape Architectural Registration Boards (CLARB) works to protect the public’s health, safety and welfare by establishing and promoting professional licensure standards. Our members are the licensure boards across the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico.
- Boston Society of Architects (BSA)
- The Boston Society of Architects/AIA is committed to professional development for our members, advocacy on behalf of great design, and sharing an appreciation for the built environment with the public at large.
- American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA) and the Boston Chapter (BSLA)
- Founded in 1899, the American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA) is the professional association for landscape architects in the United States, representing more than 15,000 members. The Society’s mission is to advance landscape architecture through advocacy, communication, education, and fellowship. Sustainability has been part of ASLA’s mission since its founding and is an overarching value that informs all of the Society’s programs and operations.
- U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC)
- The USGBC mission is to transform the way buildings and communities are designed, built and operated, enabling an environmentally and socially responsible, healthy, and prosperous environment that improves the quality of life.
- Association of Pool and Spa Professionals (APSP)
- APSP provides professional development, advancement of key legislation at all levels, consumer outreach, and public safety programs.
- Association of Professional Landscape Designers (APLD)
- APLD advances the profession of landscape design and promotes its membership of qualified and dedicated professionals.
Workshops and Seminars:
- “Sustainable Practices in Site Planning, Design and Construction” seminar presented at the ABX Conferences on Residential Design and Construction, Boston Society of Architects, April 2009 and 2010.
- “The Urban Implications of Living with Water” - Contributing author of the Urban Land Institute report funded by the Kresge Foundation and ULI Boston / New England District Council. Published in September 2014.
An engaging patio in the woods - Great for outdoor cooking and entertaining with cocktails after tennis...
Let's make your property all it can be - whether it's a new property or creating an engaging spot to relax and enjoy the great outdoors!
Call or e-mail today and let's talk about your landscape!